Purposeful, planned schoolwide character education curriculum helps ensure a more consistent experience for students across their years of attendance. To be effective, character education must be comprehensive, rigorous, and coherent, providing a uniform structure that guides teachers in how to model the appropriate values and assist their students.
For this assignment, select a character education program appropriate for your school’s culture. In a 12-15 slide digital presentation, develop a proposal to the curriculum director or site administrator proposing that the character education program be implemented schoolwide. Your proposal must incorporate school-based data and evidence-based research to substantiate what you are proposing.
Include the following in your digital presentation:
- Key research showing the effectiveness of character education programs for improving student outcomes.
- A rationale for the proposed program based on how it supports the vision and mission of the school.
- An original diagram or graphic organizer that displays the character traits included in the program.
- An explanation of the comprehensive, rigorous, and coherent manner in which character development is addressed at each grade level.
- A description of goals for the program including the evaluative data sources that would demonstrate if those goals are met.
- An explanation of how school progress in the program would be evaluated and how school stakeholders could support the program.
- A brief comparison to two other character education programs implemented in other schools that have demographics similar to yours, and a rationale explaining how the one you selected best supports the school’s vision and mission and meets students’ current needs.
- Steps you would take as a principal to implement the program including professional development for teachers, communication with parents, etc. Consider the current obstacles you might encounter as you implement these steps, and explain how you will manage uncertainty, risk, competing initiatives, and politics of change.
- Title slide, presenter’s notes, and a references slide.
Support your program with 3-5 scholarly resources demonstrating that your recommendations are reflective of current initiatives.
While APA style format is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and in-text citations and references should be presented using documentation guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. A link to the LopesWrite Technical Support Articles is located in Class Resources if you need assistance.
This benchmark assignment assesses the following programmatic competencies and professional standards:
MEd in Educational Administration
MEd in Educational Leadership
1.4: Evaluate school progress and revise school plans supported by school stakeholders. [ELCC 1.4; PSEL 10b; GCU Mission Critical 2, 4, 5]
2.2: Create and evaluate a comprehensive, rigorous, and coherent curricular and instructional school program. [ELCC 2.2; PSEL 4a; GCU Mission Critical 2, 4]
6.2: Demonstrate the influence of local, district, state, and national decisions affecting student learning in a school environment. [ELCC 6.2; PSEL 8h; ISTE-A 1c, 5c; GCU Mission Critical 1, 4]