You are required to work individually to conduct a strategic analysis and write a report on a real-life business. Please note that this report will focus on business-level strategy.
The purpose of this assessment is not only to test your understanding of the content but also to build your lifelong learning skills. These valuable employment skills include cognitive conceptualisation, critical thinking and analysis, and creative application. How well you are able to demonstrate these skills and bits of knowledge will impact not only you (in terms of a mark) but also has the potential to influence the future of the case study organisation. Your work matters.
Specifically, completing this assignment can help you develop your capabilities in the following areas:
- Understanding of the key concepts, models, theories, and analytical concepts covered from the relevant Modules (1-3) in this Course;
- Developing your ability to apply strategic management concepts and theories to the organisation selected, particularly in analysing its strategic position;
- Enhancing your capability in critical thinking through evaluating existing strategic concepts, analytical frameworks, and theories; and
- Developing your generic skills for pursuing your professional career in the areas of communication and report writing.
The targeted Course Learning Outcomes for this assessment are:
- CLO1: Identify and describe the key components of the strategic management process and how they can be applied in organisations.
- CLO2: Assess and judge strategic inputs, including the external and internal environment, strategic mission and strategic intent.
- CLO3: Create a strategy including synthesising appropriate elements of business-level strategy, competitive dynamics, corporate-level strategy, cooperative strategies and international strategies
- CLO4: Examine the relationship between strategic inputs, strategic actions (formulation, implementation and evaluation) and strategic outcomes to design a strategic plan.
In this assignment, you are required to undertake an analysis of the strategic operating environment for our case study organisation: Bonza Airlines.
You are expected to use theory and concepts covered in the course and to apply these when conducting an analysis of the strategic positioning of our case study organisation.
What you are expected to do:
- Conduct a macro-level analysis (utilising PESTEL, VUCA and Confrontation Matrix frameworks) to identify and analyse the main macro-level elements and their potential impact on the organisation.
- Conduct an industry-level analysis incorporating the use of Porter’s Five Forces model, and identifying the Key Success Factors of the industry to determine the attractiveness of the industry.
- Identify and classify resources and capabilities in terms of threshold and distinctive capabilities required at the operating level for Bonza to compete successfully in the industry.
References should be utilised within this Report to validate the information presented and should be drawn from academic sources and organisational information such as the website and annual reports. The business press may be used to identify relevant issues.
Advisory notes for this assignment
- You should conduct an extensive information search on the organisation selected.
- Company websites, annual reports, and media reports are important sources of such information, but their objectives, and thus credibility, should be carefully analysed and evaluated.
- You should use appropriate concepts and analytical tools in your report.
- The report should be written in prose; however limited use of dot points is acceptable.
- This advice should be read in conjunction with RMIT assessment policy and the course guide.
- Written assignments must be presented in a professional format. Quality of presentation, especially literacy, will be considered in the marking criteria. Written communication skills are an essential component of RMIT University’s courses.
- The assignment should be in report format and use Arial font size 12, 1.5 line spacing.
This assessment will measure the following components:
- Background of firm
- Macro environment analysis
- Industry analysis
- Internal Analysis and KSF
- Summary, and key opportunities and threats for Bonza
- Presentation and quality, access and use information professionally and referencing
In line with RMIT policy, all sources of information must be fully referenced using the RMIT Harvard referencing systems. You are encouraged to use referencing software such as Endnote for referencing and formatting. You must acknowledge all the courses of information you have used in your assessments.